I am on cymbalta but it hasn't helped with my inertia, my doc is suggesting abilify, (aripiprazole) why is this different?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Energy

Ability not only augments the effectiveness of the cymbalta, (duloxetine) but in some people can give them energy.

In brief: Energy

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Douglas Bey

In brief: Augmentation

Your md is probably hoping 2boost the effects of your cynbalta.

In brief: Augmentation

Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Danielle Jones

In brief: Mechanism of Action

Cymbalta is in a class of medications know as serotonin-norepinephrine-reuptake-inhibitors.
Abilify (aripiprazole) is a partial Dopamine & serotonin agonist. I know that's a mouth full, but the bottom line is they affect brain chemicals differently. Everyone responds differently to different medications & it's very common, especially with antidepressants, to have vastly different responses to each medication.

In brief: Mechanism of Action

Danielle Jones
Danielle Jones
Answer assisted by Danielle Jones, Medical Student
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine