How can I handle my mother wanting me to fail?

Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Maybe she doesn't.
If a person's mom truly wants a son to fail, then she needs help.
If she doesn't & the son believes she does it would be advisable for the son to seek help. Better yet, at least to start with, the son might brave an honest and kind approach to mom and just ask the question. The answer ( and even the question) might be surprising to both. At the worst if the answer is yes, the son will know.

In brief: Maybe she doesn't.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Samuel Miles
In brief: Ignore her
Don't let yourself be limited by your belief of what they are expecting of you.
Sometimes those perceptions are accurate. At other times, they are manifestations of ones unconscious fears.

In brief: Ignore her
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine