Is there anything I can take other than ritalin (methylphenidate) to help stay awake and focused?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Getting proper sleep

Are you getting sufficient sleep or are you not getting restorative sleep.
If you are not getting restorative sleep talk to your doctor about a sleep study. If there are no medical reasons for your tiredness and a sleep study is normal, then medications such as Provigil or Nuvigil may be helpful.

In brief: Getting proper sleep

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Theodore Cole

In brief: Why

My first question is why can't you stay awake and focused? If there's a problem, best to get checked out and treat the cause.
Healthy people don't need to rely on stimulants to perform. Any stimulant, from caffeine to amphetamines, can keep you awake. But, they all have side effects as well and can damage your health, so use with caution.

In brief: Why

Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Focus

Other stimulants such as Adderall, Vyvanse, (lisdexamfetamine) Provigil.

In brief: Focus

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

There is multiple other options, and also a thorough, comprehensive diagnosis might show very easy to correct causes of this problem.

Dr. Carlos Satulovsky
Dr. Carlos Satulovsky
Dr. Cindy Juster