My eyes get very red from wearing contacts, what can I do to prevent this so I can still wear them?

Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology
In brief: Red eye
Contacts deprive the eye of oxygen.
Things you can do to prevent red eye include limiting the number of hours per day you wear contacts, trying another type of contact with greater oxygen content, avoiding sleeping in contacts, using artificial tears such as theratears to keep the eyes moist, taking one day off per week to wear glasses only, don't rub your eyes.

In brief: Red eye
Contacts deprive the eye of oxygen.
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. John Odette
Ophthalmology
In brief: Get evaluated
Many things can contribute to redness while wearing contacts.
Type of contact lens, solution, fit of contact lens and your eye health can all contribute. I would recommend getting an evaluation with your contact lenses to see what can be changed.

In brief: Get evaluated
Dr. John Odette
Dr. John Odette
Dr. Charles Whiting
If you are wearing contacts that can be worn for a week without taking them out, I would plan to take them out every night and reinsert them in the morning. This gives your eyes a chance to rest. Eyes don't lubricate as well at night and with contacts in can become very dry.