What are the effects of retinol in pregnancy?

Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology

In brief: Toxicity to infant

Retinol is a a vitamin a derivative is great for your skin but can theoretically be damaging to your developing infant.
Better to wait to use creams that contain retinoids until after delivery (safe with breast feeding).

In brief: Toxicity to infant

Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer

In brief: Tough question

Tretinoin (retin-a) is the prescription retinoid and is category c.
I do not use it in my pregnant acne patients, the risk (however small) outweighs the benefit. Retinol is a form of vitamin a and slightly different chemical and not controlled by the fda. The risk of systemic absorption of both is low but i generally avoid retinoids and retinol during pregnancy.

In brief: Tough question

Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Cindy Juster