Why would my naturopathic doctor not recommend a 2 hr glucose test even if I have hypoglycemia symptoms?

Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice
In brief: Not needed
In my opinion, hypoglycemia is a clinical diagnosis.
If you get shaky, irritable, nauseous or even dizzy when you haven't eaten in over 2 hours, you have hypoglycemia. The treatment is diet changes, eliminating, refined sugars, adding small amounts of protein every 2 hours.

In brief: Not needed
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not real doctors
A naturopath orders laboratory testing to justify the sale of supplements.
Studies have shown that the laboratories they use deliberately skew the data so that deficiencies can be found and these become the reason for the symptoms. They are not real doctors and do not manage glucose abnormalities in a scientific way. Glucose testing is done by regular mds who you should consult for your problem.

In brief: Not real doctors
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Michael Rothman
In brief: A waste of time
Hypoglycemia can be diagnosed clinically without the use of the glucose tolerance test.

In brief: A waste of time
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Rick Kirschner
General Practice
In brief: Ask your doctor!
Some answers given here have less to do with questions asked, and more to do with uninformed opinions and biases.
In order to diagnose reactive hypoglycemia, a 2 hour test is too short, as some hypoglycemic symptoms won't occur until about the 5th hour. Want to know the thinking of your doctor? Ask!

In brief: Ask your doctor!
Dr. Rick Kirschner
Dr. Rick Kirschner
2 comments
Dr. Rick Kirschner
Regarding the answer of Richard Bensinger below, this kind of misinformation is offensive to say the least. NDs do not order lab tests to justify the sales of supplements, and I challenge him to provide any evidence to the contrary. Also, I'd like him show his evidence that the laboratories they use skew data! I don't know where he is getting his information, but it's not a reliable source. Nor is he, at least on matters relating to naturopathic practice.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
It's been a long time ago but the source was JAMA. Labs used by naturopaths were given samples of known composition and the results were random inaccurate and inconsistent. But almost all showed deficiencies (usually not present) in substances that could be used by the ordering naturopath to justify the sale of products to correct those deficiencies.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not real doctor

In brief: Not real doctor
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Jonathan Jassey