Will a colon cleanse release toxins from my body?

Dr. Pejman Katiraei
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Yes and No

It can help release toxins, but please realize that your body naturally wants to get toxins out.
When you have enough fiber in your diet, the toxins will bind and be eliminated. Make sure your liver has what it needs to detox appropriately. I do not believe colon cleanses are necessary. You can get bloating, cramping.. Don't force a detox. Support the body and it will detox on its own!

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Pejman Katiraei
Dr. Pejman Katiraei
5 comments
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Agree with Dr. Katirael. Help your body detoxify itself. Stay on a healthy life style
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
Detox diet are a bunch of CRAP
Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Consider this...

I'M ALL FOR IT IF by "cleanse" you mean adopting a healthy lifestyle with routine exercise, cutting out tobacco, reducing alcohol & sugary drinks, minimizing highly processed foods & fats, & adding in lean proteins, whole fruits, vegetables, & nuts.
DON'T DO IT IF instead you mean taking some fad diet, enema, colonic, or purgative to lose weight or supposedly rid your body of unspecified "toxins."

In brief: Consider this...

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
No. this is a food faddist pipe dream. No such cleanse can rid you body of toxins. Poppycock

In brief: No. We self-clean.

Humans, designed or evolved over millions of years, are self-cleaning.
That means we should eat what we are designed to eat, and our bodies will clear out unneeded materials without help. No special fasting is needed (and don't believe too strongly in wild ideas about "toxins"). Proper diet, enough exercise, and a healthy mind should suffice. Of course, getting rid of constipation is fine to do.

In brief: No. We self-clean.

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Doubtful

I have not seen any well-documented study showing that detox releases toxins from the body.
I don't even know what these toxins are or what kind of toxic effects they are suppose to exert on the body system.

In brief: Doubtful

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine