6 doctors weighed in:

Is it dangerous to ingest epsom salts?

6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Valencia Porter
Holistic Medicine
5 doctors agree

In brief: Depends on the dose

Epsom salts are Magnesium Sulfate which is safe for human consumption in limited doses.
You may notice on the epsom salt container that it can be used as a laxative, which is the effect of ingesting larger amounts of magnesium sulfate. Ingestion of too much could lead to problems due to the laxative effect, but again a small amount should not be dangerous when used appropriately.

In brief: Depends on the dose

Epsom salts are Magnesium Sulfate which is safe for human consumption in limited doses.
You may notice on the epsom salt container that it can be used as a laxative, which is the effect of ingesting larger amounts of magnesium sulfate. Ingestion of too much could lead to problems due to the laxative effect, but again a small amount should not be dangerous when used appropriately.
Dr. Valencia Porter
Dr. Valencia Porter
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Vicken Poochikian
Board Certified,
39 years in practice
2M people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors