How can I not feel guilty with my mom developing health complications from my caregiving?

Dr. Daniel Sternberg
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Let the guilt go.

It is important to realize that there may be no connection between your mom developing health complications and your caregiving.
And if there is a connection there, can you define how your caregiving causes her health complications? Basically, notice your guilt, and just allow it to be there as a feeling, and just a feeling. And then relax, and begin to let it melt away.

In brief: Let the guilt go.

Dr. Daniel Sternberg
Dr. Daniel Sternberg
2 comments
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Take a moment to consider that word. You 'care' and you 'give'. The world needs as mufch of that as possible. You might not have had perfect knowledge or perfect anything, no one does. You might have made mistakes. Everyone does. You tried. That's a lot. As a daughter, I tried to care for my mother. Some thing helped, some must have hurt. I know she appreciated and forgave. Find understanding.
Dr. Daniel Sternberg
Very, very good words, from the heart. I totally agree.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Get help c PCP/insur

You do not specify what medical problem of what complication she has.
One of the most common complication in elderly pts. Is decubitus ulcers caused by immobilization. Bedridden pts.Must be turned every two hours to prevent ulcers on the skin. When family members cannot take care of relatives they have to discuss it with the pcp to look for other options i.E institutionalization, aclf or home tx.

In brief: Get help c PCP/insur

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Arnon Rubin