What family should I include when I talk to the person I am caregiving for about end of life care?

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Confidentiality

I agree that if the patient is competent, they should direct their care.
But at the same time, the patient should have a living will, and a medical power of attorney;a close friend or family member who serves to carry out the wishes / intent of the incapacitated family member.Hospice when consulted and "on board" usually help to make sure these end of life documents are in place, also a will.

In brief: Confidentiality

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Hospice

I would add that so long as the patient is able to express themself, you could simply ask them about who to include in the discussion.

In brief: Hospice

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. M. Jay Petruska

In brief: End of Life care

Discussing end of life care can be very difficult.
It is best to have an open discussion about expectations of the patient and caregiver. My main focus usually centers upon pain and suffering. I counsel family members and patients that i don't want the patient to suffer from pain, breath hunger or anxiety over those things.

In brief: End of Life care

Dr. M. Jay Petruska
Dr. M. Jay Petruska
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Whoever she/he watts

As the patient who she wants to ask.

In brief: Whoever she/he watts

As the patient who she wants to ask.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Shontae Buffington