How can I talk to my parents about end of life decisions?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: End of Life Talk

There are many ways to approach this issue.
Comfortable setting for the parents. Using yourself as an example is a great way to break the ice. "you know mom and dad, i just signed these documents about what i want at the end of life. Have you done that yet?" this is just one strategy that will help for resusitation concerns. Donor concerns can also be handled in this manner.

In brief: End of Life Talk

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Anthony Back
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Another approach

Tell your parents that you want to be prepared if anything happened to them medically that left them unable to tell you their wishes--so that they do not think you are expecting them to die! tell them that it will help you speak for them more clearly and help you be more confident when you speak to their doctors.

In brief: Another approach

Dr. Anthony Back
Dr. Anthony Back
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine