How can I talk to my grandmother and father about end of life decisions?

Danielle Jones

In brief: Directly

End of life decisions are extremely important in people of all ages and health conditions.
The best way to approach these matters is directly - it is important to discuss these issues openly and honestly with close family members in order to ensure their final wishes are carried out. Printing out advanced directives paperwork to discuss is a good place to start for initiating this conversation.

In brief: Directly

Danielle Jones
Danielle Jones
Answer assisted by Danielle Jones, Medical Student
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: During Dr. Visit

Visit to the dr. Must raise this issue.
Medical offices ( at least in primary care) have forms appropriate for this. Visits to the hospital too. Also when getting an insurance ( car, medical etc) or even when discussing funeral arrangements when dealing with a funeral home. Also when they fall or have any minor health issue they can be approached.

In brief: During Dr. Visit

Visit to the dr. Must raise this issue.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez