How can I get my mother to exercise more in her nursing home?

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Ask her

Some options: 1. Ask her if she will do this.
2. Speak to the staff to see if they can encourage her more. 3. You could arrange to pick her up and take her out on pass, go somewhere where she will have to walk a short distance. Sometimes you can get them to "exercise" by using a little bit of subterfuge.

In brief: Ask her

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Carol Van der Harst
Many health problems contribute to sedentary behaviors in nursing homes Often someone must initiate the walking activity or going to the community room for music and chair exercise. Her physician should be specific about walking distances per day and any needs for supervision - this will assist you in talking with the staff.
Dr. Vadim Glukh
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Difficult

It may only be your personal involvement with the exercise program that could help, but even then it may not - always a challenging situation.

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Vadim Glukh
Dr. Vadim Glukh
Dr. Marsha Davis