How can I maintain my own health when caregiving for a husband?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Need some me time
I run into this a lot with patients and their spouses.
It is very important that the caregiver find some way to carve out some time on a regular basis to nourish themselves and attend to their own needs. Otherwise caregiver burnout occurs over time. Also you may want to look into what is called respite care. Some nursing homes will admit a patient for a week or two to give the caregiver a break.

In brief: Need some me time
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
David Miller
In brief: With support
You have brought up an important question.
Everyone caring for someone with a chronic illness needs to be diligent to take care of themselves so they can be an effective caregiver. You need to seek out support in the form of either direct help to give you breaks, someone to talk to for emotional support, help with chores or shopping. Whatever you need. Don't go it alone, get the help you need.

In brief: With support
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine