What are the effects of gestational diabetes on pregnancy?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Detect + protect

Stories told of losing babies or having really large infants due to diabetes typically refer to cases in which women didn't have access to or take advantage of good care.
With detection, proper diet/exercise, rx if needed, frequent testing of blood sugar, and ultrasound+studies of fetal well-being when needed, risk of many problems in baby like drop in glucose, jaundice, large size can be reduced.

In brief: Detect + protect

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
4 comments
Dr. Pam Yoder
Also see my guides: How should I manage my diabetes in pregnancy? and Type 1, Type 2, Gestational DIABETES
Dr. Chukwuma Onyeije
Excellent answer, Dr. Yoder. Nothing to add.
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology

In brief: Baby's Health

This causes high blood sugar which gets across the placenta to the baby.
The baby then makes more insulin, which causes them to grow fatter and have metabolic problems during transition after birth. This can me minimized with adhering to a special diet, exercise, and sometimes with medication to lower blood sugar during pregnancy.

In brief: Baby's Health

Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: Many possible

Diabetes can affect the developing baby throughout the pregnancy.
In early pregnancy, a mother's diabetes can result in birth defects and an increased rate of miscarriage. Many of the birth defects that occur affect major organs such as the brain and heart. During the 2nd & 3rd trimester, a mother's diabetes can lead to over-nutrition & excess growth of the baby.

In brief: Many possible

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Stillbirth

Most internet sites focus on gestational diabetes causing large babies.
Although this is true the main reason we diagnose and treat is to prevent stillbirth. The risk of stillbirth is directly related to how well someone controls their blood sugar. Prevention of fetal death is the top priority. Diabetes can also cause large infants, more c sections and increase risk of hemorrhage.

In brief: Stillbirth

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Recent research

A recently published study demonstrates the increased incidence of adhd in babies born to diabetic mothers.
These children are 14 times more likely to have adhd. This was reported online in the january issue of archives of pediatrics and adolescent medicine. Arch pediatr adoles med january 2, 2012 doi: 10.1001/archpediatrics.2011.784.

In brief: Recent research

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Marsha Davis