When I move do I harm my muscles with post polio syndrome?

David Miller
In brief: No
The problem with post polio syndrome is not your muscles but your nerves.
The primary nerves were destroyed by the virus in your spinal cord. Now the remaining nerves have sprouted new terminals to reconnect these muscles. Moving around will help you to maintain mobility and function. But don't push it too much. Extreme is often a feature of post-polio syndrome. See your doc for more information.

In brief: No
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
David Miller
That next-to-last sentence should real "Extreme fatigue is often a feature of post-polio syndrome."
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: No
I don't see how movement can harm your muscles.
Maybe some excessive movement might, but normally muscles are designed to move. Moves stays at the basis of physical therapy, which is a cornerstone treatment for those with post polio syndrome.

In brief: No
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: No
Srenuous Exercises and over exertion can be harmful but normal movements are not harmful

In brief: No
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Arnon Rubin