How can I potty train my child with developmental disabilities?

Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Patiently...

Toilet {or "potty"} training is difficult in and of itself; throwing any disability into the mix adds another level of difficulty.
Sometimes the 'team' approach is best; and positive reinforcement is helpful. I do not know the exact nature of the disability so i cannot be more specific except do draw from my own parenting experience...When your child is ready then it happens; and not before.

In brief: Patiently...

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Enable when ready

Potty training requires the ability to receive and act on signals for the need to go(not having gone).
It requires some modeling of the pieces of behavior needed:going to the room, adjusting clothes, sitting or standing etc.If you can rehurse the pieces, and the kid can signal when they need to go, you can help them thru the process until they get the idea. Without perceiving the need it won't happen.

In brief: Enable when ready

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Step by step

If he is developmentally ready to toilet train, guidelines are in the book steps to independence.
A "little looster" is a u-shaped stool to help with balance while he sits on the potty. Having him sit for a few minutes after a meal, blowing bubbles, sometimes helps, as long as his stools are soft. Reward success and stay casual if there is none.

In brief: Step by step

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine