How do I know if I am starting to get addicted to my chronic pain medications?

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology

In brief: Dependency

Addiction is a disease/ psychological and behavioral syndrome.
Loss of control over drug, compulsive use, continued use despite harm to the user or others. On the other hand physical dependence is induced by opioids followed by withdrawl symproms when the medications are stopped abruptly. The later is more of side effect of the pain management and not a problem leading to discontinuation of meds.

In brief: Dependency

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Overuse/abuse

Taking more than prescribed? Taking even though you do not have pain? Taking in a way other than intended (injecting or snorting)? Obtaining from multiple doctors or on the street? Taking to treat anxiety or depression? If yes then you may be headed down a dangerous path.

In brief: Overuse/abuse

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine