If I quit smoking, will it significantly improve my heart health? Or is my heart condition already a done deal?

Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Help heart health

Any atherosclerosis caused by smoking is usually not reversible, but any blood vessel narrowing due to nicotine can be improved by stopping smoking.

In brief: Help heart health

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. David Revere
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Smoking and Heart Dz

This is a great quesion, because smoking and heart disease is an often under-covered topic in the media.
With cigarette smoking, there is a whole host of damaging effects to the body within seconds of inhalation. Cigarette smoke alters the body's ability to regulate blood pressure control, respond to damage, and it causes cholesterol plaques to become unstable, creating a risk of heart attack.

In brief: Smoking and Heart Dz

Dr. David Revere
Dr. David Revere
Dr. Steven Seres