How can I manage my diabetes during pregnancy?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Depends

Some of this depends on whether your diabetes started before pregnancy or during, whether it is diet controlled or you are on medications such as insulin, etc.
A strict, well balanced american diabetes association diet is important. Daily exercise always helps. Checking a fasting finger stick and a post meal finger stick for glucose is necessary.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Kathleen Hands
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: What is hga1c

Diabetes is managed by the degree of control you have.
If your sugars are over 140, you may need Insulin during pregnancy. Metformin and dulfonylureas have been used off label. They are not approved during pregnancy but there are no studies showing harm. It depends on the comfort level of your obg.

In brief: What is hga1c

Dr. Kathleen Hands
Dr. Kathleen Hands
Dr. Adam Smith