My doctor told me I have 70% right coronary artery blockage. How did he measure the percentage of blockage?

Dr. Daniel Engelman
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Estimate

In general this is performed by comparing the size of the normal coronary artery to the area of the blockage.
Under some circumstances this can be performed electronically.

In brief: Estimate

Dr. Daniel Engelman
Dr. Daniel Engelman
Dr. Francis Uricchio
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Comparison

The diameter of the narrowest part of the artery is compared to a nearby segment which is felt to be healthy.
This is assuming that there is a nearby part that is healthy. In a diffusely diseased artery, it may not be possible to assign a percent stenosis.

In brief: Comparison

Dr. Francis Uricchio
Dr. Francis Uricchio
Dr. Marsha Davis