Is it safe to drink alcohol after triple bypass heart surgery?

Dr. Daniel Engelman
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Maybe
It depends what medications you're on.
I would limit myself to 1 to 2 drinks in any given day. Also alcohol can affect the drug coumadin (warfarin).

In brief: Maybe
It depends what medications you're on.
Dr. Daniel Engelman
Dr. Daniel Engelman
Dr. Michael Fenster
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
Once you have recovered from coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) moderate alcohol use can be part of a healthful diet.
Of all the forms of alcohol examined, most research has focused on wine, and red wine in particular. Studies suggest that moderate consumption (1-3 four oz. Glasses per day) provides benefit compared to none at all. However overconsumption or binge drinking has significant risk.

Dr. Michael Fenster
Dr. Michael Fenster
Dr. Adam Smith