I was diagnosed with afib and put on coumadin (warfarin). How will Coumadin (warfarin) affect my heart?

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Prevent clots

The atrial fibrillation can result in clots forming inside the heart.
Those clots can break lose, go to the brain, and cause a stroke. The Coumadin (warfarin) tends to prevent the clots from occurring. But it also carries the risk of bleeding especially if the blood gets too thin.

In brief: Prevent clots

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Prevent clots

The atrial fibrillation can result in clots forming in the heart.
If one breaks lose and goes to the brain, a stroke can occur. Coumadin (warfarin) tends to prevent clots but could result in the complication of bleeding especially if not carefully controlled.

In brief: Prevent clots

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Peter Kurzweil