I had EKG done, which revealed that I had a hole in my heart. But the bubble test came out normal. What does this mean?

Dr. Jerry Routh

In brief: Abnormal EKG

An EKG or electrocardiogram is a test that looks at the electical impulses generated by your heart.
Age and body build impact the ekg. The tracing suggested that you had an enlargement of a heart chamber caused by a "hole" (septal defect) in your heart. The doppler echocardiogram with bubble study is a specific test to find a defect and measure the heart chamber size and was normal.

In brief: Abnormal EKG

Dr. Jerry Routh
Dr. Jerry Routh
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: ECG or echo

An ekg (or ecg) usually cannot detect a hole in your heart, but an echocardiogram can.
But a bubble test can be "normal" if the pressure in the left atrium is higher than that in the right atrium, preventing the bubble from going across the hole in your heart.

In brief: ECG or echo

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Umesh Patel