My cardiologist put me on diuretics. How do diuretics affect my body and my blood pressure?

Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Lower blood pressure

Diuretics make you urinate more, and so can make you relatively dehydrated and lower your blood pressure.
It can also alter some of your electrolyies, such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium, which can affect your heart, your muscles, and your nervous system.

In brief: Lower blood pressure

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Lower blood pressure

Diuretics are commonly used to treat high blood pressure of fluid retention such as that caused by heart failure (a weakness in the heart muscle.
) so they will lower your blood pressure and get rid of excess fluid. Too high a dose could cause you to get dehydrated. It also could lower the potassium in you blood producing weakness.

In brief: Lower blood pressure

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer