Is there such a thing as a chronic nightmare disorder?

Dr. Bassam Amawi
In brief: PTSD?
Some people may have a chronic prsd , and night mares r usually part of the symptoms.
There r medication that can help.

In brief: PTSD?
There r medication that can help.
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Technically, no.
It's most likely what people call night terrors, or it's flash backs to traumas that appear in ptsd poeple's dreams as if occuring again.
There is no official diagnosis of chronic nightmare disorder just night terror disorder - chronic nightmares causing awakening in the middle of the night with no memory of doing so. Commonly "flash backs" are understood as ptsd memories come back to life again.

In brief: Technically, no.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Nightmares
As a sleep disorder and trauma expert I have had many patients who have had chronic nightmares for many decades.
We were able to stop them! Check on my book No More Nightmares-How to Use Planned Dream Intervention to End Nightmares. Taught to over 35,000 people world-wide, I also teach this extremely successful skill over VTC and could teach you via HealthTap

In brief: Nightmares
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine