What does it mean if the blood vessels in my head are inflamed?

Dr. Betty Keller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Vasculitis

The cause of most forms of vasculitis ( inflammation of blood vessels) is unknown.
However we know the immune system plays a role. The immune system is meant to protect the body, but when it becomes "overactive" due to some unknown trigger it can cause inflammation in the blood vessels. This causes narrowing of the blood vessel, decreased blood supply which can cause damage to surrounding tissues.

In brief: Vasculitis

Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Betty Keller

In brief: Inflammation

Many times patients have temporal arteritis.
I have done biopsies to diagnose and then if positive, steroids are given to treat and eliminate the inflammation and pain.

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Dr. Eric Weisman