What is occipital neuralgia complex?

Pain at back of head. Occipital neuralgia is pain from the occipital nerve which is felt along the back of the head, sometimes radiating to the top of the head and sometimes to the forehead- usually on just one side of the head. The occipital nerve is most likely irritated as it passes through the muscles at the back of the head, at the base of the skull. Less commonly, the nerve can be pinched in the upper neck (c2).
Occipital neuralgia. Occipital neuralgia is a neurological condition in which the occipital nerves (the nerves run from the top of the cervical spine up through the scalp) are inflamed or injured. Occipital neuralgia is characterized by severe pain that begins in the upper neck and back of the head as well as chronic headache.