How can I tell if I have tension headaches or another type?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Good question

Many headaches are mixed.
Migraines often start as an ache in the neck or some will see squiggly lines or be affected by light or sound. And most all migraines cause some light or sound sensitivity and some nausea most of the time. Tylenol (acetaminophen) may often help a tension headache but not a migraine

In brief: Good question

Many headaches are mixed.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Headaches

Tension headaches involve the muscles of the scalp, and can wrap around the entire scalp and even into the neck.
Migraines are one-sided, and usually start in the temple area and go back onone side. Cluster headaches are typically behind a single eye. There are many other things that can cause headaches - rebound, dental problems (tmj), etc. A good family dr or neurologist can help you decide.

In brief: Headaches

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen