Can I not get an MRI with dye while nursing?

Dr. Alan Greene
In brief: It's okay
Less than 1% of the gadolinium-based dye mom's given IV makes it into breastmilk; less than 1% of the dye swallowed in breastmilk is absorbed by baby: baby gets less than 1/250000th the dose mom gets.
Considered safe. If mom wants, she could pump & dump for 24 hrs, but the known benefits of breastfeeding probably outweigh theoretical risks of this tiny dose.

In brief: It's okay
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greene
3 comments
Dr. Paul Cohen
I agree with prepping some bottles with breast milk prior to the procedure...better safe than worry!
Dr. Paul Cohen
I agree..better to prep some bottles with breast milk prior to the procedure; better safe than worry
Dr. Jennifer Thomas
In brief: It's not a problem
The dye used during an MRI does not cross into breastmilk.
Often breastfeeding mothers are told to discard milk after the procedure. This is unnecessary. Great question.

In brief: It's not a problem
Dr. Jennifer Thomas
Dr. Jennifer Thomas