Can you develop sickle cell anemia as an adult?

Yes. You may not manifest sickle cell anemia until later in life. However, you don't develop or acquire sickle cell anemia at some point in life. It is genetic so you had it since birth.
Sickle Cell Anemia. Sickle cell anemia is an inherited disorder. You are either born with sickle cell anemia genes or not. Symptoms usually appear in childhood but certain situations can bring on more symptoms.

Related Questions

Can you get sickle cell anemia as an adult, but didn't have it as a child or is it a hereditary?

Hereditary. Sickle cell disease is often diagnosed in newborn period through newborn screening.
Inherited. Sickle cell anemia is hereditary. But it comes in several varieties depending what was inherited from parents. S-s is severe & usually diagnosed in infancy. S-a is carrier state & may go undetected into adulthood. Many variants are possible. This refers to how hemoglobin proteins are manufactured by red cells programmed by genes. See: http://ghr. Nlm. Nih. Gov/condition/sickle-cell-disease.

Some adults with sickle cell anemia have high levels of fetal hemoglobin. Any reason for this?

Epigenetics and drug. We know that sickle cell patients that have increased Hemoglobin F typically have less sickle cell complications. This is the basis for using Hydroxyurea in sickle cell patients. Some individuals have elevated Hemoglobin F levels due to differences in the genetic region of the beta and gamma globin genes that prevent the normal shutting-off of the gamma globin gene. This leads to increased HGB f.

Might it happen that a caucasian develop sickle cell anemia after a blood transfusion from an afrimight it happen that amerimight it happen that donor?

No. You inherit sickle cell anemia from your parents, you can't "catch it" from a blood transfusion. By the way, sickle cell anemia is not confined to african-americans; it is found in many individuals from the middle east and other regions around the mediterranean sea.
No. First, only 7% of african americans are carriers of the sickle mutation, and being heterozygous does not lead to clinically significant sickling. Pts with hgbss disease (ie., sickle cell anemia) do not serve as blood donors.

What is sickle cell anemia?

Hereditary. Sickle cell anemia is a hereditary condition where some of the red blood cells become sickle shaped and rigid, and can't get through the smallest capillaries. Blocked circulation causes extreme pain in joints, abdomen, or chest.
Its a severe anemia. A form of anemia that affects many people around the world. It results from a defective form of hemoglobin in the red cells, that results in deformation (sickling) and destruction of red cells, as well as blockage of small capillary vessels causing pain in bones, lung problems, possible strokes, severe fatigue and a shortened lifespan. It is inherited, but you need 2 defective genes from mom n dad.

Is sickle cell anemia painful?

Pain crisis=painful. Sickle cell anemia itself is not painful. However sickle cell anemia can be complicated with crisis episode either in a form of sickle cell pain crisis (this is painful), or other episode such as acute chest syndrome, stroke etc.

Can I have sickle cell anemia?

Anyone can... It would be unlikely that would could reach the age of 46 and not be diagnosed with sickle cell anemia. If you are truly concerned, testing is very easy.

Is sickle cell anemia hereditary?

Yes. Sickle cell anemia is due to a genetic mutation in the dna that encodes for the hemoglobin molecule. Thus, it is hereditary.
Sickle cell disease. Yes. For example, if both parents have sickle cell trait (each have one copy of a sickle beta-hemoglobin gene and one unaffected copy), they have a 25% chance of having a child with sickle cell disease, a 50% chance of the child having sickle cell trait, and a 25% chance of the child having completely normal hemoglobin (no trait or sickle cell disease).
Yes. It is an autosomal recessive disorder, meaning that both parents must be carriers of the mutation. If they are, the chance of each child being affected is 1 in 4.

Why is sickle cell anemia painful?

Poor circulation. In sickle cell disease red cell stick together and block circulation to extremity and other organ so it cause pain crisis.