What precautions do I have to take with a blood clot disorder when pregnant?

Dr. John Botti
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Specialist counsel

Active management of clotting disorders is best initiated before pregnancy.
Most patients have a predisposition to venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, and require changes in drugs during pregnancy. Some conditions like von willebrand disease may manifest increased bleeding at the time of delivery. Your hematologist and ob/gyn or mfm can help devise a plan if you are already pregnant.

In brief: Specialist counsel

Dr. John Botti
Dr. John Botti
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: Have medical care.

Blood clotting disorders in pregnancy can cause, besides blood clots, pregnancy loss and/or fetal growth restriction.
Women with these conditions often need to be on blood thinners starting early in pregnancy. They should also have regular close followup with their obgyn. Often, because of the use of blood thinners, the delivery is scheduled in order to time when to stop the blood thinner.

In brief: Have medical care.

Dr. Kevin O'neil
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Dr. John Botti
If your ob/Gyn is uncomfortable with your condition, seek a maternal fetal medicine counsult to outline a plan of management
Dr. Lisa Jackson-moore

In brief: Prevention/planning

It is a good idea to schedule a visit with a maternal fetal medicice specialist for a preconception visit for planning purposes.
I would also consult with my hematologist. The hormonal effects of pregnancy increase the body's tendency to form blood clots. The type of blood clot disorder and your personal history of ever having a blood clot will determine the optimal prophylaxis regimen.

In brief: Prevention/planning

Dr. Lisa Jackson-moore
Dr. Lisa Jackson-moore
Dr. John Botti
I agree copletely with Dr. Jackson-Moore
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery