I always have blocked nose after swimming. Am I allergic to the pool?

Dr. Alex Martinez
Internal Medicine - Allergy
In brief: Pool & stuffy noses
While pools are sometimes sources of allergens like molds & pollen (especially if outdoors), most nasal congestion following swimming is likely due to irritants like chlorine, temperature changes from getting in & out of the water, or positional changes (as you swim, blood that normally pools in the legs while upright flows towards the head more easily and fills the nasal tissues).

In brief: Pool & stuffy noses
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Treatments exist
Check with your pcp or ent.
Otc sinus rinses may help or prescription nasal steroid sprays may be of benefit. Avoid otc decongestant sprays.

In brief: Treatments exist
Check with your pcp or ent.
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Marsha Davis