My eyes are swelling shut. Am I having an allergic reaction?

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Eye puffiness
Puffiness of the eyelids is a common symptom of allergies.
This is usually accompanied by itchy, red and tearing eyes. It can also be a part of a more generalized allergic reaction with hives. With allergies, the vision should not be affected and symptoms should improve gradually with antihistamines. There are other reasons for eye swelling that should be evaluated for by an eye doctor.

In brief: Eye puffiness
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology
In brief: Probably
Sounds like a pretty severe allergic reaction.
Make sure you aren't having any problems breathing. Acute onset of eyelid swelling is often caused by allergy. Try some antihistamines and if it doesn't clear up quickly, see your doctor!

In brief: Probably
Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine