I'm constantly coughing up mucus. What can I do?

Dr. Alex Martinez
Internal Medicine - Allergy

In brief: Constant mucus

Mucus is a thick fluid secreted by glands that helps protect areas of the body exposed to the environment.
It filters away particles and organisms that stick to it; it also contains antiseptic substances that prevent infection. Mucus production in the lungs increases in response to allergens (pollen, molds) & irritants (smoke). A chronic cough producing mucus should be evaluated medically.

In brief: Constant mucus

Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: See doctor...

Possible etiologies of a chronic cough include chronic bronchitis, a form of copd.
Other possibilities include bronchospasm from any cause, gerd, post-nasal drip or a combination of these diagnoses. For diagnosis and treatment, you need to be evaluated by your doctor. If you currently smoke, you need to quit today!

In brief: See doctor...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine