I have chronic post nasal drip, which often causes gagging. What can I do?

Dr. Daniel Reinharth

In brief: General advice

Drinking more fluids can dilute the mucus and make it less irritating.
Nasal saline every 2 hours has a similar effect, and also flushes the mucus. Prescription nasal steroids often help, by reducing the inflammation which produces mucus. Keep in mind that in some people what feels like a postnasal drip is really acid reflux.

In brief: General advice

Dr. Daniel Reinharth
Dr. Daniel Reinharth
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Nasal Drainage

Have you tried a salt water wash kit? If not, give it a try twice daily.
Adding an antihistamine once to twice per day can help. If no relief, get in to see an allergist for testing to see what you are allergic to and to come up with a better plan of action to get your nose under control.

In brief: Nasal Drainage

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Peter Kurzweil