I've had no problems drinking alcohol in the past. But last week, I had a very bad reaction. How is this possible?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Etoh
Etoh is a spontaneous mast cell degranulator. Can cause all over flushing and feelings of awfulness.
Also, maybe you simply drank too much?!?!

In brief: Etoh
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Alex Martinez
Internal Medicine - Allergy
In brief: Hard to answer...
Allergic reactions develop against large molecules such as proteins.
Ethanol is a very small molecule and doesn't elicit an antibody response, so can't cause true allergies. Most reactions to alcohol are related to a toxic effect as the body tries to metabolize it. Rarely, other substances (like grapes in wine or grains in beer) can cause reactions. See an allergist to help you find a cause.

In brief: Hard to answer...
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Steven Seres