I'm 30 and have been smoking since I was 18, how can I quit?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Like any addiction

You need support from a 12 step program, smoker's anonymous, and perhaps a trial of chantix.

In brief: Like any addiction

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Various Options

There are a number of options for quitting that you should speak with your family physician about.
A lot of people try quitting cold turkey, which is extremely difficult. There are some pharmacologic treatments, including buproprion and chantix, as well as nicotine gum. It's important to remember that slipping back into the habit is common and can be overcome with social and medical support.

In brief: Various Options

Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine