Just found out 6 weeks pregnant. Do I wean myself off pain pills or stop cold turkey?

Dr. George Valdez

In brief: Talk to your doctor

It depends on the type of medication and how many and how often you are taking them. Stopping cold turkey is likely not dangerous in itself, but can be stressful, which is not good for pregnancy.
You should talk to your doctor about the best way to safely wean off pills.

In brief: Talk to your doctor

Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. David Finke

If a med is not safe in the first trimester, an attempt at stopping it should be made as soon as possible.
If the med has dependency characteristics (narcotics, controlled substances), it should be weaned to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Rarely, pain medications may be necessary throughout the pregnancy and these babies must be watch carefully and treated for withdrawal/dependency.

Dr. David Finke
Dr. David Finke
Dr. Vikram Patel