How likely is infection after amputation? I'm very worried about infection after my amputation. How common is it and how can I prevent it? .

Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See below

The best you can do is to follow the wound care instructions you are provided when leaving the hospital.

In brief: See below

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Possible

Infection rates after amputation are dependent on the reason for the amputation as well as the status of the affected limb's circulation.
Infection rates are high for amputation done for infection in patients have diabetes, poor circulation and a chronic infection up to 30% . In a healthy teenage witha traumatic amputation can be as low as 1-2%. Follow doc's advice see if temp, redness up pain.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery