What do I say in a letter to my fiancホ that I need help for my alcohol addiction?

Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Travel Medicine

In brief: I agree but also

It can feel overwhelming to share such news with loved one.
You may be afraid they will try to talk you out of what you know is truth about yourself: that you must abstain from alcohol forever & must be always involved in program of recovery. That sobriety must come first for you if marriage is to make it. Instead of a letter though, a trusted counselor or sponsor by your side to help explain?

In brief: I agree but also

Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Why a letter?

I can imagine your feelings, especially of shame, why a letter seems best, but if this is the caring supportive man you love, talk to him in person, would you use a letter to tell him you had cancer? Tell him you need help in person.
Just do it, then get the support you need, aa meetings, counseling, or advice from your doctor.

In brief: Why a letter?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
This would have been my answer but Dr. Blixt said it better than I could have. Start going to AA's / counseling / pastoral guidance / your doctor first, then tell him what you have already accomplished. Just as you love him, he loves you too and you will care for one another during your weak moments throughout what will hopefully be a strong and happy marriage.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Say in person

Being open and honesr with loved ones is definately the healthiest to tackle issues and conflicts, whereas, keeping secrets can cause problems.
I suggest you and your fiance discuss yout situation not by letter. In person is best, skype maybe better than just a letter. Any longstanding, loving relationship need to be based on a foundation mutual trust, honest, respect and kindness.

In brief: Say in person

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer