How can I make sure I am getting enough protein in pregnancy?

Dr. Heidi Harms

In brief: 60 grams a day

The protein needs in pregnancy increase to meet demands for growth of the fetus, placenta, uterus and increased blood volume.
Animal sources of protein, such as meat, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, poultry and fish are "complete", as they provide the 9 essential Amino Acids in optimal concentrations. Vegetable sources of complete protein include quinoa, soybeans, buckwheat and hemp.

In brief: 60 grams a day

Dr. Heidi Harms
Dr. Heidi Harms
Dr. John Breinholt
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Eat healthy

If you eat a well balanced diet that includes the recommended protein allotment, you will likely be fine.

In brief: Eat healthy

Dr. John Breinholt
Dr. John Breinholt
Dr. Jonathan Jassey