Why did I use alcohol to deal with my bipolar disease before I was diagnosed?

Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Self medication

Folks with bipolar disorders use easily available drugs to self medicate.
The "big three" are nicotine, alcohol, & marijuana. Unfortunately, these drugs don't help, & frequently worsen core symptoms. Patients with bpd, who are unaware of their condition, will find marginal help from their symptoms with self medication. When the diagnosis is made, they are able to get better with medications.

In brief: Self medication

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Alfredo Soto

In brief: Depends

In many cases, people diagnosed with bipolar disorder use alcohol as the only drug that can get them to sleep outside of formal medications.
Alcohol can also calm down the racing thoughts that occur. However, it is also not unusual for people who have bipolar disorder to also have a family history of alcoholism. If that is the case, you should worry about developing a problem with alcohol.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Daryl Tanski

In brief: Causes

Alcohols sedative properties can offer momentary but not sustained relief from the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
Substance use including alcohol is a poor prognostic indicator for the course of illness of bipolar disorder.

In brief: Causes

Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine