Are there long term consequences to breast augmentation surgery?

Yes. You will have positive self pride feelings as well as the obvious physical changes. You should be prepared to receive compliments and increased attention in your physical appearance for awhile.
Yes. The weight of large implants can cause the breasts to droop more over time than if implants had not been placed. Therefore, a breast lift may be needed in the future.
Yes. The predominant ones are shape changes which require reoperation. Hardening, or capsular contracture, can now more or less be prevented but has been the the major long-term problem.
Yes. Implants can cause thinning of the surrounding tissues, droop of the breasts, as well as other problems. This should he discussed with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to any augme.Ntation procedure.
Yes. Most of the time, the long term effects of breast enhancement include a boost of self esteem and self confidence in women, which is a good thing. However, bad things can also happen in some, not all women. These included sagging of the breasts if the implants are too heavy, and capsular contraction if the implants results in a scar thickened response by the patient's body. Surgery may be needed.
Breast implants +/- There are numerous long term consequences to breast augmentation. In most instances, reoperation will likely be required. This can be for removal and/or replacement. The good outcomes are generally known. Bad consequences include hardening (capsular contracture), deflation, leakage, rupture, and a whole host of conditions such as the "rock in the sock" or "snoopy" or "double bubble".
There can be. Most women do great with their breast augmentation. However, some women can develop problems long term. One of these is a capsular contraction. Here, the soft implants appear to become hardened, but what actually can happen is the capsule that your body forms around the implant becomes scarred and hardened. This happens 10% to 30% of the time, especially with silicone implants.
Yes. The shape of the breast can change over time in response to the weight of an implant, which can be prevented to some degree by wearing a bra. The information about implants needing to be replaced every 10 years is not correct in my opinion, and they have a lifetime warranty. There is however a chance that another operation will be needed at some point.
Yes. Deciding to have a breast augmentation requires a long discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon. There are long term consequences that should be discussed. There is not enough space to cover them all here, but some of these issues include the average lifespan of 10 yrs, the need for mri's with silicone implant, and the possibility of developing capsular contracture.
Yes. Most women who have breast augmentation, whether for breast changes following pregnancy, asymmetry, or underdeveloped breasts have healthy motives. The tissue around implants can change in various ways so that if for example the implants were removed the breasts might sag and a lift would be needed. There are no proven risks of systemic disease conditions related to breast implants however.
Yes. The more weight in the breast, the faster it sags, unless you support it in a good bra. Also, capsular contracture after a breast augmentation has been well recognized as a potential long term problem. After over 50 years of study, a cause & solution to the problem may have been identified in how bacteria can protect themselves & how we can break their shell & kill them. Being seen much less now.
Yes. Usually revision surgery will be necessary in the future either as an implant exchange from failure (implants last about 10 years on average) or for other cosmetic reasons (bottoming out, contractures, or sagging).