What can cause hair loss?

Many... There are many possible causes of hair loss. Hair loss can be caused by a medication, physical or emotional stress, anemia, thyroid disease, hormonal changes, autoimmune diseases or simply age/genetic. Your doctor will help you determine the reason for the loss. When it's due to aging, we can treat it with rogaine (minoxidil).
Several causes. . . There are many types of hair loss. For age-related baldness, a doctor may use rogaine (minoxidil) or propecia. For other causes, hair may grow back after the disorder is resolved: over-brushing, hormonal imbalances, stress, chemotherapy, autoimmune disorders, infection, etc... A doctor can evaluate for these other causes of hair loss. Normal people may lose 50-100 hairs/day, which are replaced by "new" hairs.