Do varicose veins only surface during menopause?

Dr. Craig Schwartz
Phlebology

In brief: Absolutely not

The most common age group is 30-60, but I have treated patients from age 17-93.
Most common causes of varicose veins are family history or genetics, pregnancy, trauma, occupations or activities with prolonged standing or sitting, and hormonal influences, which is where menopause would play a role.

In brief: Absolutely not

Dr. Craig Schwartz
Dr. Craig Schwartz
Dr. Ted King
Although the symptoms fomr varicose veins will actually often get better with menopause, the effects on the skin of the varicose veins can worsen with increasing age. So, swelling, skin discoloration, and even ulceration becomes more likely as you get older, if you already had varicose veins in the first place.
Dr. David Rosen
Phlebology

In brief: No

I completely agree with dr. Schwartz's answer and have also treated patients ranging from teens to a healthy, spry 94 year old man.
..Which leads me to the one point i wanted to elaborate for the edification of sherry & the general public: men get vein disease, too. The prevalence is greater in women vs men at any age; the discrepancy diminishes as age increases. Men: please seek treatment early!

In brief: No

Dr. David Rosen
Dr. David Rosen
2 comments
Dr. James Isobe
You are right! Men delay treatment and often come in with more advanced venous disease.
Dr. David Rosen
Absolutely, Dr. Isobe. The first barrier to be overcome is the misconception, shared by patients & some docs, that visible vein disease is "cosmetic". It is in fact a MEDICAL issue worthy of early assessment by a doc with an expertise in vein disease who can determine the appropriate timing and mode of intervention. Seek assessment by a board-certified Phlebologist. Fellow docs, consult us!
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: VV and menopause

Varicose veins are due to malfunctioning (refluxing) valves of the saphenous system of veins.
Varicose veins do not only occur during menopause. They may become more prominent as women age for may reasons including hormones, progressive weakening of the valves with age and from prior pregnancies as well as genetics. See a vein specialist for an evaluation.

In brief: VV and menopause

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: No

The opposite is sometimes true.
Women will actually have less trouble with their varicose veins after menopause. Less estrogen makes their veins hurt less. I have treated many teenagers with significant varicose veins over the years and the youngest person i ever treated was 7. She first started to visible bulging varicose veins by the time she was 18 months old!

In brief: No

The opposite is sometimes true.
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: No

They occur before menopause and occur in younger women and get worse with extended standing.

In brief: No

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried