Do varicose veins only surface during menopause?

Absolutely not. The most common age group is 30-60, but I have treated patients from age 17-93. Most common causes of varicose veins are family history or genetics, pregnancy, trauma, occupations or activities with prolonged standing or sitting, and hormonal influences, which is where menopause would play a role.
No. I completely agree with dr. Schwartz's answer and have also treated patients ranging from teens to a healthy, spry 94 year old man...Which leads me to the one point i wanted to elaborate for the edification of sherry & the general public: men get vein disease, too. The prevalence is greater in women vs men at any age; the discrepancy diminishes as age increases. Men: please seek treatment early!
VV and menopause. Varicose veins are due to malfunctioning (refluxing) valves of the saphenous system of veins. Varicose veins do not only occur during menopause. They may become more prominent as women age for may reasons including hormones, progressive weakening of the valves with age and from prior pregnancies as well as genetics. See a vein specialist for an evaluation.
No. The opposite is sometimes true. Women will actually have less trouble with their varicose veins after menopause. Less estrogen makes their veins hurt less. I have treated many teenagers with significant varicose veins over the years and the youngest person i ever treated was 7. She first started to visible bulging varicose veins by the time she was 18 months old!
No. They occur before menopause and occur in younger women and get worse with extended standing.