If I have a seizure disorder, am I more likely to seize in alcohol withdrawal?

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Alcohol withdrawal makes seizure more likely even in people without a pre-existing seizure disorder.
If you have such a disorder, it further increases the risk. On the other hand, if you are already taking anti-seizure medication, it may make alcohol withdrawal seizure less likely. It won't protect you from other medical complications of alcohol withdrawal though, which can be serious.

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Addiction Medicine
Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
In brief: Yes.
Alcohol acts like a very weak anti-seizure medication, but it also burns out the receptors that seizure medications use to work on the brain.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine