Which is a better treatment option for opioid addiction, Suboxone or methadone?

Dr. Allen Fein

In brief: Suboxone by far!

As a physician with 10 years of experience treating addiction, i feel that suboxone is a much better treatment.
The main advantage of Methadone is price. Suboxone is safer in that you cannot overdose with it, unlike methadone. Suboxone blocks other opioids from getting you high (or dead), and it won't work if injected. Suboxone visits are usually monthly, not daily like at Methadone clinics.

In brief: Suboxone by far!

Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Byron Law-Yone
Suboxone used by injection can cause the Naloxone in Suboxone to precipitate significant withdrawal symptoms of any pure opioids that may be present in the individual at the time. There have been deaths caused by Suboxone overdose.Several small children have died from taking suboxone alone.Most deaths occur when a variety of drugs like benzodizepines and or alcohol are taken with Suboxone
Dr. Leonard Spishakoff
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Depends

Suboxone can be prescribed at a doctor office, has anticraving effect and antianxiety effect via kappa receptors.
Methadone is a full opioid agonist must be given from a Methadone clinic, cheap. Suboxone in my experience is easier to use and titrate, has less withdrawal symptoms and when used with pregant women is easy to titrate down. Newborns have little withdrawal.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Leonard Spishakoff
Dr. Leonard Spishakoff
Dr. Cyma Khalily

In brief: SUBOXONE

I never prescribed Methadone for withdrawal but i believe that the suboxone is really superior and can be a true life changer!

In brief: SUBOXONE

Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Pain Management

In brief: Both

Methadone is cheap and dosed once a day.
At high doses it has cardiac risks. It does not block the opioid receptor and can be overpowered with large doses of opioids. Suboxone is more expensive, dosed once or twice a day, and partially blocks the receptor preventing other opioid function. It is more expensive. Pt specific factors lead the md to pick one or the other.

In brief: Both

Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Momen El Nesr
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Prefer Suboxone

I prefer suboxone as patient is better to function on suboxone vs methadone.

In brief: Prefer Suboxone

Dr. Momen El Nesr
Dr. Momen El Nesr
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Everyone is

Different. Suboxone allows more freedom and has fewer side effects.
Methadone treats higher degrees of tolerance. Methadone has a higher success rate and most methadone patients can't use suboxone. Still, naltrexone is the best option of all- especially as a Vivitrol shot.

In brief: Everyone is

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Peter Kubitz
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Suboxone..typically

I would consider Suboxone first.
There are more serious risks with methadone that are not the same as with suboxone, and if not managed appropriately, can lead to an adverse outcome. They both work, however. Best of luck.

In brief: Suboxone..typically

I would consider Suboxone first.
Dr. Peter Kubitz
Dr. Peter Kubitz
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: Subaxone

convenient, No need for daily clinic visits and better quality of life.
Note if pregnant or require very high doses of methadone may not be a good candidate for Subaxone.

In brief: Subaxone

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Dr. Byron Law-Yone

In brief: Depends.

I am using mainly suboxone to treat my patients.
I am aware Methadone works well for many patients but suboxone can be prescribed in an out patient setting, and i find that it tends to produce less tolerance and fewer side effects. They are both medications that need to be part of a comprehensive recovery program.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Byron Law-Yone
Dr. Byron Law-Yone
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine