What happens if i've failed to respond to naltrexone?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: For alcohol?

First, no medication by itself will cure the problem, other support is needed, meetings, counseling.
Genetics seems to play a role in what meds are most helpful for certain individuals. There are other meds that are helpful for treating alcohol dependence such as topiramate, campral, ondansetron, Gabapentin and Baclofen are some other meds that may be helpful.

In brief: For alcohol?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Tell me more

naltrexone blocks opioid receptors.
I am not sure what you mean by failing. Most likely, the receptors were blocked. Perhaps you say that this blockage did not give you the results you expected? Then add more to your treatment. If you are taking Vivitrol and you relapsed, I sometimes see that first few shots do not work as long as expected. Schedule your second shot approximately three weeks from

In brief: Tell me more

naltrexone blocks opioid receptors.
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Joseph De santi

In brief: Modify Treatment

Consult with your pain specialist in this situation.
Never self adjust medication use without expert guidance. If you "failed" treatment your physician may consider adjusting your dose or switching you to another medication. Again, never self adjust any medications, especially in this class of drug as it can result in serious consequences. Addiction and pain management specialists are best.

In brief: Modify Treatment

Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine