How long should I be taking naltrexone?

Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: See your doctor
Please see your physician to answer this question! if you are not satisfied with the answer; ask to be weaned off the medication; or go for a second opinion!

In brief: See your doctor
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Addiction Medicine
In brief: For what?
you did not say what your taking the medication for. I would just assume that it is for addiction – most common reasons are addiction to opioids or alcohol.
in this case, take it as long as you need to change your friends, activities, life. Find new ways to have fun and to spend time. You will not have any withdrawals when you stop. Just think if you still need the safety net. Good luck

In brief: For what?
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: 6 months or more
My practice is to see people monthly on it for the first 3 months, making sure they are going to counseling, aa or the appropriate follow up care.
I want my patients to have 6 months of solid recovery (no drinking, feeling better, in treatment) before talking about stopping it - that may be a year or more into their treatment. See less. It may differ if for alcohol vs. Opiate treatment (longer).

In brief: 6 months or more
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Eric Weisman